Sunday, January 18, 2009

My first circular knitting loom experience!

Ok so Shanon from Salina talked to me not long before I left Kansas and said that she bought a circular knitting loom set and successfully made really cute purses on it. She said it was quick and easy so I figured maybe I'd give it a try. After all it would save money (as knitting takes less yarn than crocheting - which is what I normally do) when doing projects for the Pink Cross Foundation. Though I didn't find it as quick to complete as she did, I did find it to be a whole lot of fun. I couldn't get the handles to work like she said she could either, so I made my own! Improvise! She is sending me the three that she has completed so I will post pictures of those when I receive them so we can see if I was even close on how it was suposed to turn out!

This purse is made with three different skeins of yarn: Red Hart's Pretty 'n Pink and White and Patrons Glittallic - White Twinkle. There are little flecks of silver in every so often in the knitted fabric.

This was my first try with the ribbon. It gave me the "I'm 5 years old and I'm carrying my Easter purse to church" vibe so I had to come up with something else! :) I did like using the ribbon as an alternative to the wooden or plastic handles, but this just wasn't doing it for me. For one I felt like the knitted cross was hidden too much and, like I said before, maybe was a bit immature. I think if I hadn't had the cross knitted on there, it might have been ok, but for this particular one, it just wasn't working for me.





This one is my last attempt. I literally worked on it all day and decided that all of the purses sent to California would probably be a little different anyway so this one will ultimately go even though I'm not 100% thrilled with it. FYI, this one (to the left) shows the colors more truely. I can't wait to get my camera back from my dad's house. It's in a box ready to be sent. These pictures are courtesy of my cell phone camera!

In the picture to the right, you can see the little cross charm in the middle of the pink cross. It gives it something I guess. There is no ribbon work on the back of the purse and all of the ribbon work is the same piece of ribbon.

Thanks for checking in today. I am very exhausted from fighting with this thing all day. Sometimes my creative juices are flowing and other times, well they just aren't. I was very happy with how the cross turned out, on a brighter note. That's my first time working on a circular loom and the first time changing colors while knitting! Go me!

Good night and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment